Family Story is Hiring!
Position Title: Program Associate
Location: TBD, Washington, DC or Atlanta, GA preferred
Reports to: Program Director
Hours per week (average): 40
Overtime Status: Non-Exempt
Start Date: As soon as possible
Family Story is seeking a Program Associate to join the organization as our third full-time employee. This staff person will provide general support of an administrative, communications, and programmatic nature.
Family Story is a think tank founded in 2015 to recognize, validate, and protect the many ways individuals form and re-form families. We believe in the dignity and value of families in all their forms, in meeting people where they’re at, in thinking outside the box, and asking different, better questions about families today.
The position is full-time with excellent benefits and flexibility to work remotely. Residency in Washington, DC or Atlanta, GA is preferred but willing to consider other locations for highly qualified candidates.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Program Associate will report to the Program Director and will be responsible for the following areas of work:
- Provide general administrative support: drafting agendas, taking notes, managing organizational calendar, keeping data management systems updated, formatting documents, printing materials, organizing materials in Google Drive and for meetings, drafting emails
- Support financial management including reconciling credit card statements, coordinating payments, and other tasks
- Support coordination and compliance with Family Story’s fiscal sponsor, New Venture Fund
- Assist in maintaining project timelines utilizing Asana, and other project management systems
- Provide event coordination support, including catering, materials, and other logistics
- Provide social media support, including help sourcing and posting content, evolving our social media presence in alignment with our brand, and supporting online engagement
- Track media hits and analytics for email, website, social media channels (using Google Alerts, Mailchimp, and various tools as needed)
- Assist in the writing and producing of newsletters through Mailchimp, as well as other communications
- Assist with website and blog, including posting content and other updates
- Support with other media outreach activities, as needed
- Assist with new research and reports, media guides, policy research, etc.
- Track breaking news, timely political efforts, and policy/think tank research for relevance and alignment with Family Story’s work
- Provide fundraising support, including tracking and maintaining funder database, donor research, and support on grant writing and reporting
All employees are required to complete timesheets.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience in administration, non-profit/advocacy, research, communications or related fields;
- Well organized, attentive to detail, and have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, while meeting deadlines;
- Familiarity with data management systems (donor/fundraising databases, organizational calendars, work plans, etc.);
- Experience managing social media platforms;
- Demonstrated effectiveness working independently, as well as working as part of a team with colleagues of diverse backgrounds and perspectives;
- Proven self-starter and problem-solver, with flexibility, all-hands-on-deck attitude and openness to change;
- Expertise with Google Drive and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
Valued Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
An ideal candidate will also have a passion for Family Story’s mission, an interest in social justice advocacy (especially the racial-, gender- and economic-justice spaces) and familiarity with think tanks and social science research.
Additional skills that are ideal but non-essential include:
- Proficiency with WordPress (or other CMS programs),
- Familiarity with Asana (and/or other project management systems),
- Experience using Canva, Photoshop, or other design programs,
- Experience using Survey Monkey or other survey/research tools and systems.
How to Apply
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Program Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with a deadline of April 5, 2019 to apply.
Family Story is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.